Miso glazed aubergine and black rice salad
This salad is one of my absolute favourites to make for lunch on the go, although it is equally good eaten as a side dish alongside steamed or grilled fish. As the recipe serves 4, I often make the full amount and keep three portions in tightly sealed pots in the fridge to pop in my bag as I need them. Like this, the salad keeps for three days. Although the dressing will wilt the leaves, the flavours deepen with time - a pretty good pay-off, i'd say.
Serves 4, or 6 as a side dish
For the miso glazed aubergine
- 2 aubergines (about 330g uncooked)
- 1 tbsp of white miso
- 4 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
For the salad
- 320g black rice
- 20g toasted sesame seeds
- 170g edamame beans
- 260g Chinese leaf
- 1 red chilli
For the dressing
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp mirin
- 1 tbsp light soy
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (fan)
- Take a vegetable peeler and peel 4 or 5 strips off each aubergine, leaving them pleasingly stripy. Slice the aubergine into 1 cm discs.
- Score one side of each slice with diagonal lines a few cm apart and then repeat until you have a cross-hatch pattern.
- Place the aubergines on a baking sheet and bake for approx 30 minutes, until roasted and soft. Check after 20 minutes, as you don't want them to dry out.
- In the mean time, cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
- Mix the glaze ingredients except the ginger together in a small pan and heat until the miso has dissolved and it comes to a gentle bubble. Remove from the heat and stir in the ginger.
- When the aubergines are ready and cool enough to handle, brush the glaze onto both sides of the discs using a pastry brush.
- Drain and rinse the rice to cool it down.
- Blanch the edamame beens in boiling water for about 4 minutes (from frozen), then plunge them into cold water and drain.
- Finely slice the chilli.
- Finely shred the Chinese leaf.
- Lightly whisk together the dressing ingredients. Taste for seasoning, adjust with a little more soy or vinegar to taste.
- Mix all the salad ingredients together in a bowl with the aubergine.
- Dress the salad and serve.